Have questions about voting?
- When is the election?
- Am I registered to vote?
- Can I register to vote online?
- Who can I vote for in my area? Can I see a sample ballot?
- Where do I vote on election day?
- How do I vote by mail?
- When and where is early voting?
- What do I need to bring with me when I vote?
- What commission district am I in?
“When is the election?”
December 1: DA Runoff
January 5: General Election Runoff
Check here to see if you’ve already registered.
If you’re not registered, make sure to register at least a month before election day.
“Can I register to vote online?”
Yes! You can register here.
Residents of Georgia are eligible to register to vote here if they are:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 17 ½ years old (you need to be 18 to actually vote)
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction
- Not determined mentally incompetent
You will need to register one month before election day.
“Who can I vote for? Can I see a sample ballot?”
On December 1
On January 5
- Public Service Commissioner: Daniel Blackman (D) is running against incumbent Bubba McDonald (R).
- Senate #1: Jon Ossoff (D) is running against incumbent Senator David Perdue (R).
- Senate #2: Raphael Warnock (D) is running against Senator Kelly Loeffler (R).
“Where do I vote on election day?”
Voting in person
Check here to find out your voting location for election day. You can also vote early or absentee (see below).
“How do I vote by mail?”
Or you can use the online voter portal here: ballotrequest.sos.ga.gov
To vote by mail in the Dec 1 runoff, YOU MUST APPLY SEPARATELY, even if you normally get your absentee ballots automatically sent to you.
Ballot drop boxes
After you receive your ballot, you can mail it back or place it in one of these handy drop boxes around town:
Box #1: ACC Extension Office – 275 Cleveland Road, Bogart
Box #2: ACC Elections Office – 155 E Washington Street, Athens
Box #3: ACC Library – 2025 Baxter Street, Athens
Box #4: ACC Multimodal Transportation Center – 775 E Broad Street, Athens
Box #5: Fire Station #7 – 2350 Barnett Shoals Road, Athens
To track the status of your absentee ballot, go to www.mvp.sos.ga.gov.
“When and where is early voting?”
Early Voting for the December 1 District Attorney Runoff:
“What do I need to bring with me when I vote?”
You will need to bring a valid state or federal government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license when you vote. Make sure to bring it! You can get a free photo ID from the Board of Elections office at 155 East Washington Street.
“What commission district am I in?”
Check these maps to find your commission district. The odd-numbered seats on the commission will be up for re-election (Districts 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) in May of 2022.
For your other voting districts, check here.
We hope this voter FAQ was helpful. If you still need voter info for the Athens, Georgia area, contact the Board of Elections (706-613-3150).